This article explains how to change a group's settings, depending on whether you'd like to manage adding users to the group (private group) or give users the option to join the group themselves (joinable group).
This article is for TEACHERS or ADMINISTRATORS. 🍏📝
We know how important it is that teachers have access to time-saving tools. Setting a group to ‘joinable’ allows other users to join a group easily themselves, eliminating the need for teachers or administrators to add users to the group, either individually or in bulk.
We also know that there are times when you may want to limit who can join a group by setting the group to private – which is why we've given you the flexibility to choose.
On the Groups page (in the settings section of Engage), joinable groups will appear with a green tag saying ‘joinable’ so you can distinguish between groups that users can join versus those that cannot be joined (private).
To set a group as joinable or private:
- After logging in to Engage, navigate to the settings section by clicking the cog icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- On the left-hand side of your screen, navigate to 'Groups'.
- Create a new group, OR click on the name of an existing group that you would like to edit then select the ‘Edit’ button at the top of the next page.
- Using the drop-down menu, select ‘Yes’ under ‘Joinable’ to set your group as joinable, or 'No' to set the group as private.
- Click ‘Save’.
- Joinable groups will be visible to other users on the Home page in Engage, where they will easily be able to join.
- If you change a previously joinable group to private (using the steps above), the group will subsequently be removed from the Home page in Engage and users will not be able to add themselves to that group. Existing users will remain in the group.
Need help? Use the live chat in the bottom right corner of your screen or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.