With Snapplify’s Google Directory integration, Google institutions signed up for Engage are able to pull all users from their Google Directory and link these to Snapplify so that users can use their Google accounts to sign in to Engage.
This article will help you to enable your Google Directory for API integration, as well as how to sync your Google Directory and import your users quickly and easily.
Note: To use this feature, you must have access to the Google Users on your institution’s Google domain. A standard user without these privileges won’t be able to run this import.
Enabling your Google Directory for API integration
- Head over to admin.google.com and sign in with your admin details.
- Navigate to Directory settings via the top left menu: Click on the menu icon (three lines) then scroll down to ‘Directory’ and click on ‘Directory settings’.
- Click on ‘Sharing settings’ and enable ‘Domain and public data’: ‘Share domain shared contacts data and domain profile data that has domain or public visibility with external apps and APIs’.
Enable API access
To verify that API access is enabled:
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Security > API reference.
To see Security on the Home page, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Make sure the Enable API access box is checked.
- At the bottom, click Save.
Importing your users via Google integration
- Once signed in to Engage, navigate to ‘Import Users’ in Engage (you’ll find this under ‘Admin’ in the toolbar on the left-hand side of your screen).
- At the top of the screen, under ‘Google’, click the ‘Connect’ button. This will allow your Google domain to connect to your Engage platform.
- If required, enter your organisational unit path to import only specific units within the directory; otherwise, you can leave this blank to import all directory users. You can view your list of Google Organisational units if you are logged in as a Google Admin user at admin.google.com/ac/orgunits. An example of an org unit might be “/Active Staff/South Africa.”
- Click ‘Save’.
- You will be redirected to Google sign-in. Click ‘Allow’ when asked to allow snapplify.com to view your users.
- You will be directed back to Engage, where your users will begin to import.
Once connected, Engage will continue to sync with Google, and update user information accordingly. As users are added, updated or deleted, the systems will remain in sync.
Note: You are able to change your organisational unit settings at any time by clicking on ‘Activities’ within the ‘Import Users’ section on the Google Integration block. From there, you can add additional Org Unit Paths as well as remove any that you no longer need.